Best Paddle Boards Of 2020
ALSO SEE:Best Seller List UK
Best Paddle Boards 2020-If you’re looking to buy the Best Sub Paddle Boards 2019, then you’ve come to the right place. I’ve written a complete best inflatable paddle board review guide to make it easy for you to choose the Best Paddle Boards 2020 for your budget and needs. So without delay, checkout our best selling top 10 Best Paddle Boards In 2020 list from the best type Of Paddle Boards and find out which is the best suit for you.best stand up paddle board,best paddle boards for beginner..
Check Out our More Guide of The Best Paddle Boards Like –best inflatable paddle board,Best Sub Paddle,Best Sub board bag,Electric Pump,Paddle Board Wall Rack
Best stand up paddle board 2020
The 9 Best Stand Up Paddle Boards For 2020
The SereneLife Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board is one of the best seller paddle boards on the market.Enjoy the open water with a premium stand up paddle board from SereneLife and you’ll experience adventures like never before.It is 100% travel-friendly, this unique SUP inflatable paddle board is preferred by those who have a knack for adventure. Take it with you on surfing excursions or keep it in your car for those times you want to explore.
If you love the open water, there’s nothing quite like enjoying it as you’re standing atop your very own paddle board. The freedom to go where you please, get some fun exercise, and look down into the beautiful water is truly unmatched. That’s why we created SereneLife Paddle Boards; an inflatable board perfect for every skill level.
Great for Beginners and Experienced Paddleboarders
The inflatable design and wide, non-slip top deck provides improved stability and balance for kids and adults, making it easy to glide across the surface with ease. More importantly, the PVC body makes it stable while standing but gentle enough that if you fall while learning you won’t hit a hard board on the way down. Great for the lake, ocean, pond or even slow-moving rivers, get your SereneLife paddle board today and hit the water!
- Standard Single Person (SUP) Design
- Inflatable Paddle Board (PVC)
- Three (3) Bottom Panel Fins
- Dimensions: 10’ x 30” x 6”
- Paddleboard Weight: 19.6 lbs.
- Max. Inflation Pressure: 20+ PSI
- Max. Weight Capacity: 275 lbs.
- WIDE SUP DESIGN – The SereneLife stand up paddling board is 10’ long and provides 30” of deck width for improved stability and balance while standing
- SUPERIOR MANEUVERABILITY – The triple bottom panel fins help board improve overall speed, handling and steering for easier use by kids, teens and adults alike
- NON-SLIP SOFT TOP DECK – Great for beginners, our paddleboard is made for early learning and for less accidents or injuries should you fall—happens to us all!
- INFLATABLE & PORTABLE – Take your paddleboard with you wherever you go! It quickly inflates or deflates for easy storage, making it ideal for the lake, river or ocean
- COMPLETE PADDLEBOARD KIT – Every SereneLife Paddle Board also comes with paddling essentials, including a coiled ankle cuff safety leash, oar, manual air pump, and convenient storage bag! B
- PACKAGE DEAL INCLUDES: Inflatable SUP with attached bungee rope, 3 piece fiberglass paddle, fin and pump
- PORTABLE – Easy to store and transport, handles on the nose and tail make it easier to transport once inflated
- EXTREMELY RIGID – Weight limit of up to 350 lbs on the water. When fully inflated, it feels very similar to a hard board
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY -2-Year Manufacturers Warranty on iSUPs which cover everything outside of normal wear and tear (does not apply to included paddle or accessories)
- HIGHLY DURABLE – Military-grade PVC material and drop-stitch construction. Never worry again about dings and board cracks
Tower Adventurer 2 Inflatable SUP Package:
Includes a 10’4″ x 32″ x 6″ inflatable SUP, 3-PC Fiberglass Paddle, high-pressure SUP pump, high-end Tower branded diamond grooved deck pad, removable center fin, a hand hold strap, a roll-up carrying strap. The Adventurer 2 is a great all-round sup, for flatwater activities such as fishing, yoga, touring or even sunbathing!
A Giant Leap forward in Inflatable SUP Design:
4″ blow up SUPs (which is pretty much all inflatable SUPs on the market) leave a lot to be desired. They sag in the middle, slowing you down and ride low in the water so you end up standing in a puddle of cold water. The 6″ thick, military grade Tower Adventurer 2 inflatable paddle board is dramatically more rigid, plus it floats higher in the water – so no wet feet. But this is only one of many advances that set the Adventurer iSUP apart from the competition.
A Viable EPS/Epoxy Board Alternative – We’re not kidding:
Traditionally, inflatable SUP boards were only a consideration for traveling but with the rigidity of the Tower Adventurer 2, an inflatable SUP is now also a viable EPS/Epoxy board alternative for anyone who isn’t a die-hard surfer.B
- ENDLESS SUMMER FUN ON THE WATER – Inflated: 10’6 x 31″ x 6″ | Rolled up: 11” x 36” | Weight 23 lbs
- BEST ALL AROUND iSUP DESIGN – Rigid and Stable Shape, Great for All Skill Levels and Conditions
- INCLUDES iSUP ACCESSORY BUNDLE – Paddle, Carry Back Pack, Coil Leash, High Pressure Pump
- TOUGH 6” MILITARY GRADE PVC CONSTRUCTION – No more worry about dings or damage
- 30 DAY GUARANTEE + 1 YEAR WARRANTY ON MATERIALS – Risk Free Returns within 30 Days
COMPLETE ALL AROUND SUP PACKAGE
PEAK Paddle Boards brings the Ultimate beginner paddle board package to you! The PEAK team is committed to bringing you the best quality paddle boards designed and tested by people who surf and paddle everyday. A top quality, thoughtfully designed product for the every day paddler!
SUPER STABLE HIGH END DESIGN & STYLISH LOOK
Our PEAK 10’6 Inflatable Paddle Board is built tough from the highest quality military grade PVC and drop stitch material. The end result is a lighter, stiffer, more durable iSUP board without any of the extra weight. The 6” Thickness makes it much more stable and rigid versus the typically 4” thick models and the non slip grip ensures a stable steady ride.
The perfect iSUP board to fit all skill levels and an excellent choice for Sup Yoga Enthusiasts, SUP Fishing, Recreational Paddlers, Kids or carrying extra passengers or furry friends!
INCLUDES ACCESSORY BUNDLE
Includes 3 Piece Aluminum Adjustable Travel Paddle, Coil Ankle Leash, Carry Back Pack, High Pressure Dual Action Pump with Pressure Gauge (Inflates to 15 PSI), Removable Travel Fin (No Tool Required).
Atoll’s flagship ISUP, the Cruiser Deluxe, is 11 foot x 6 inch x 32 inch ISUP ready with everything you need to paddle that same day. BRAND NEW NEW Fusion Light Construction – 40% lighter than comparable models.
Great board! First time out with it was a 4 mile run to Emerald Cove at Lake Mead this weekend, and this board performed like a champ. Great stability and consistency…especially considering I’m 6’4″/275lbs. My pump did have the upside down o-ring on it and I got immediate help from the customer service line (after 5pm PT) to get it sorted out. My only real issue is super minor and it’s that the cord connecting the valve cover was broken upon arrival. Definitely recommend this board though…it meets or exceeds similarly priced competition in just about every way, and has a far better warranty.
Manufactured with a built in state of the art H3 valve. It comes with a the industry leading Bravo dual action hand pump. Replaceable, reliable and 3nd generation detachable fin, now compatible with Universal Fin boxes, no screws required. The use of aftermarket river fins or larger race finds has nver been easier. The stock 8 inch double strength fin keeps this inflatable stand up paddle board headed on its intended course. The tri fin design allows for the best tracking ( moving forward without turning). Dual Layer PVC, this board is wrapped with second layer of patented PVC on the top and bottom of the board that creats a stiff, rigid and sturdy ISUP. EVA foam on the top: prevents ISUP rider from slipping and loosing their balance. Pressure ranges up to 15 psi with Korean style drop stitching technology. Package comes with a new sleek 3 piece lightweight aluminum paddle and nylon blade. Ruggged and heavy duty super strength velcro LEASH NOW INCLUDED
- NEW ultra light construction with dual layer PVC on this paddleboard – 40% lighter than comparable models while creating an extra ridgid board. Inflatable stand up paddle board comes with : High Pressure Bravo dual action hand pump (inflates when pushing down AND pulling up) 3rd generation hand pump (up to 15psi), repair kit, front and back bungee tie downs, travel backpack with waist strap also comes with this standup
- ISUP also comes with 3nd Generation Black aluminum alloy adjustable lightweight ( 2 lbs 2 ounces) 3 piece paddle with nylon blade. Detachable extra durable removable fin compatible with all universal/ US fin boxes, NO lost screws fins, no tools needed and compatible with almost all aftermarket fins.
- Sleek new heavy-duty backpack nylon carry bag (large enough to fit pump, paddle, paddle board, and ISUP repair kit), mesh sides allow ISUP dry while being stored.. NOW INCLUDES EXTRA TOUGH 10′ POLY FLEX LEASH
- 6 inch thick, 32 incess wide and 11 feet long. Tested and quality assured ISUP board, Fully wrapped with second layer of PVC material on the top and bottom: creates a stiff, rigid and sturdy board, now with 15 D-rings on the deck to tie down anything you need.HAS supported ISUP riders at 300 lbs with ease (see image) and has been water tested at over 350 lbs
- Tri fin design enables easier and more efficient tracking. 2 YEAR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY – Atoll Board Co’s inflatable boards are covered from any workmanship or material defect for a period of 2 YEARS. ATOLL BOARDS offers only the highest quality products and stand behind them 100%, become part of the fastet growing lifestyle sports in the world. B
Price:$599.99 –BUY NOW ON AMAZON
This iROCKER Cruiser Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board is one of the best Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board on the market. It is also Best Seller now. It is 10’6” Long 33” Wide 6” Thick – Board Weight 25 lbs Weight Limit of up to 400 lbs. 33′ Wide throughout the entire board with an extra wide tail makes for extra stability while the shape of the board still allows for a smooth tracking experience. Similar to a hard board when fully inflated to 15 PSI but only half the weight. Super Durable, no longer a need to worry about damaging your board when banging against debris while on the water.
HIGH QUALITY ADJUSTABLE FIBERGLASS PADDLE: New LONGER adjustment for 2019 Floating fiberglass paddle, half the weight of a standard aluminum paddles designed to help you enjoy your paddle session. Edges of the blade constructed of a TVR rubber material so don’t worry about chipping your blade. Easily converted to a kayak paddle with a blade on each end with the purchase of an optional kayak blade, sold separately. Breaks down into 3 separate pieces in order to easily fit into your provided bag.
BACK PACK CARRY BAG by iROCKER: Most comfortable iSUP bag on the market. No need to worry about how you are going to carry your board from the car to the water to begin your SUP adventure. Your iRocker SUP and all the accessories fit into the provided back pack with ease, there’s even room to spare for extra gear. Padded adjustable shoulder straps and waist support. Also equipped with inner stabilizing board strap and outer clinching straps to keep your board from shifting inside the bag.
- EXTREMELY STABLE, iROCKER CRUISER INFLATABLE PADDLE BOARD: 10’6” Long 33” Wide 6” Thick – Board Weight 25 lbs Weight Limit of up to 400 lbs. 33′ Wide throughout the entire board with an extra wide tail makes for extra stability while the shape of the board still allows for a smooth tracking experience. Similar to a hard board when fully inflated to 15 PSI but only half the weight. Super Durable, no longer a need to worry about damaging your board when banging against debris while on the water.
- HIGH QUALITY ADJUSTABLE FIBERGLASS PADDLE: New LONGER adjustment for 2018 Floating fiberglass paddle, half the weight of a standard aluminum paddles designed to help you enjoy your paddle session. Edges of the blade constructed of a TVR rubber material so don’t worry about chipping your blade. Easily converted to a kayak paddle with a blade on each end with the purchase of an optional kayak blade, sold separately. Breaks down into 3 separate pieces in order to easily fit into your provided bag.
- THE ONLY TRIPLE ACTION HIGH CAPACITY HAND PUMP by IROCKER: This efficient 25” triple action dual chamber hand pump comes with an integrated pressure gauge and inflates your board up to 100% faster than the standard dual action hand pump. Start with setting 1 max capacity to push air into the board on the up and down stroke of both chambers. Switch to setting 2 medium pressure to push air into the board on the up and down stroke of a single chamber. Switch to setting 3 max pressure to push air
- BACK PACK CARRY BAG by iROCKER: Most comfortable iSUP bag on the market. No need to worry about how you are going to carry your board from the car to the water to begin your SUP adventure. Your iRocker SUP and all the accessories fit into the provided back pack with ease, there’s even room to spare for extra gear. Padded adjustable shoulder straps and waist support. Also equipped with inner stabilizing board strap and outer clinching straps to keep your board from shifting inside the bag.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY: Purchase an inflatable paddle board with confidence. You’re covered on everything outside of normal wear and tear. iRocker offers only the highest quality inflatable paddle boards constructed of the highest quality materials. We stand behind our products 100%. There is no need to worry about buying a sub par product made of low quality materials which is why you receive a 2 year warranty. You can expect the iROCKER SUP to outlast the rest. B
Price:$248.00 BUY NOW ON AMAZON
The Pathfinder Inflatable SUP is one of the best paddle boards on the market.The Pathfinder Inflatable SUP is a perfect all-around SUP board. This versatile and durable board is 9’9″ long x 5″ thick. The complete package includes SUP board, high pressure air pump, removable center tracking fin, bungee tie-down, adjustable aluminum paddle, valve wrench, and a carry bag with shoulder straps. So portable and easy to store! When fully inflated, it feels very similar to a hard board (inflate to 15 PSI). Great for all day family fun wherever the next water adventure takes you!
Measures 9’9″ long x 30″ wide x 5″ thick.
Bungee for securing on-board cargo, and D-ring to attach a leash.
Weight limit is 240 lbs.
Amazing Durability – PVC material and strong multi-layer drop stitch.
Large, comfortable deck pad will keep you on your feet.
Includes: Adjustable aluminum paddle, pump, detachable center fin, carry bag (with shoulder straps), and valve wrench.
We love SUP boarding and decided to make the financial commitment of buying one of our own. This board is good and the pump & paddle are pretty good. It’s a little tricky getting it pumped up (my wife and I are in good shape (run marathons) and getting the board to 15 PSI can be pretty taxing, even for us). The first SUP we received started leaking after about a week along the top crease. We were able to get a replacement, although the replacement process was a little lengthy (3 weeks), we have been happy with the purchase otherwise. Another concern is that when we called to return the board the customer service rep gave us a hard time about the return.
Price:$433.95 BUY NOW ON AMAZON
The California Board Company Hydra 10’6” SUP package includes everything you need: board, fin, bungee, paddle, leash, and roof rack. With the included bungee holder attached on the top of the board, you can hold a cooler, wet pack, or even your waterproof electronics for a great day on the water. The California Board Company 10’6″ Hydra soft stand up paddleboard package with bungee is completely waterproof, held together with 3 multi-layered, laminated wood stringers coated with a waterproof resin. The 10 six’s classic graphic top has a high density, durable ixpe/xpe deck (heat laminated). The bottom is slick, and made of a heat-laminated, high density polyethylene.
GREAT board, delievered in great condition. BUT, hours after ordering, I got an email for the SAME board, about $70 CHEAPER! Look for the other deal! That being said, it’s a perfect board for beginners. The material is a much sturdier foam than I expected, the paddle is nice, but DOES NOT FLOAT, so I put children’s floaties on it. All of the reviews I read complained that it was a single fin while the description said tri-fin… Mine IS a tri-fin!! The board could fit three to four mid-sized adults comfortably. If its a child’s gift, maybe look for a smaller board, as it is a lot of surface to move around on the water. I am a 20 year old female and I am a bit wobbly carrying the 25 pound thing. But all things considered I’m still VERY HAPPY with this purchase! 🙂 I would recommend!
- High Density EPS Foam; 100% Waterproof core ; Surf Leash Included
- Camera Mount ; Instant padded roof rack makes it easy to strap your board to almost any vehicle. ; Adjustable SUP paddle with exclusive blade shield. (Adjusts from 63’’ to 83’’)
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs
- 126″ x 30″ x 5″ ; Material: Multi-Layered Laminated Wood Stringers with waterproof resin; Core: Heat laminated high density 100% waterproof EPS
- High Density EPS Foam
- 100% Waterproof core
- Surf Leash Included
The best paddleboard to ever enter my life!!!
-The ankle strap bar allows you to put a Master Lock Python or two through it, and lock it to your roof rack
-Stable standing surface
-Lighter than hard boards. I’m a girl, and I can launch it to the roof of a Jeep Compass
-More durable than the inflatables
-Soft enough to lay on and just float (aaahhh!!)
-Has a handle (although would recommend the board slepper)
-Coolest design ever
-My dog can stand in it without slipping
-The paddle is a serious worker, and floats
-Doesn’t stain in the face of mud
-Edges really well with rocky waves
-Ankle strap. Works well to anchor with a rock when beached too
-The roof rack system really is too tiny to be optimal. It’s fine to keep as a backup, but do yourself a huge favor and buy tension straps and big foam blocks from a sporting store
-Tying it tightly to roof will leave side indentation marks. But, at lest you know where to position it next time!
– Can’t get bungie system to stick to that surface. It’s got a seal on it that hates all adhesives.B
Price:$645.99 BUY NOW ON AMAZON
The ISLE Cruiser Soft Top Stand Up Paddle Boardis one of the best qualities Paddle Board.This is a quality SUP, especially for the price. I was concerned about how the soft top would work since I’ve been on many SUPs, but never one like this, and after taking it out several times, I can say that I actually prefer this material. Like others have mentioned, I did notice that the material dented slightly from the straps after I put it on my roof, but the indentations were not permanent. In fact, by the time I got the board off of my car and to the water, the indentations were gone. This board is comfortable to ride, the no slip surface is a really nice feature, and the paddle is high quality. If you’re looking for a really nice SUP at a great price, I highly recommend this one!
After a lot of research, I chose to buy my first paddle board from Isle. I initially purchased the Cruiser because I wanted an all around and yoga board, plus, cost was a factor. The first day I used my board a small bubble popped up on the back end of the board. It did not affect the performance of the board, however I was concerned so I contacted Isle. Without hesitation, they immediately shipped me a new board, as they decided it was a manufacturing concern. My new board arrived quickly, but unfortunately it had a small tear in the foam. Again, nothing that would hinder the performance of the board, but I contacted Isle about the damage. I received an immediate response, and spoke with a knowledgeable rep from the company over the phone. After some consideration, I decided to go with the Versa instead of the Cruiser. Yet again, Isle quickly shipped me a new Versa without hesitation.
- SPECS: 10-ft 5-inches :Supports Riders: Up to 235+ lbs. | Great For Families | Soft Top Deck
- ALL AROUND SUP DESIGN – Rigid and Stable for All Skill Levels | Flatwater & Small Waves
- INCLUDES ACCESSORY BUNDLE – Adjustable Paddle (Floats), Center Handle, 9″ Center Fin
- CONSTRUCTION – Soft Top Deck | EPS core with TRIPLE stringer system | High Density Bottom
- EASY RETURNS: Ride it and Love it for 60 Days or Return it! Restock Fee Applies B
Price:$579.00 BUY NOW ON AMAZON
The Tower Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board is 9’10” long and provides 32” of deck width for improved stability and balance while standing. The large single bottom fin helps improve overall speed, handling and steering for easier use by kids, teens and adults alike.
Great for beginners, as well as experts! People of all skill levels will appreciate our design which reduces the likelihood of accidents or injuries should you fall—happens to us all!
Take your paddleboard with you wherever you go! It quickly inflates or deflates for easy storage, making it ideal for the lake, river or ocean.
The Tower Adventurer 1 inflatable stand up paddleboard is made from extremely rugged materials like those you’d find on the highly regarded Zodiac boats and river rafts. The Adventurer 1 is made with drop-stitch technology which uses thousands of fibers that connect the top deck to the bottom to hold it’s shape. When inflated the board has the rigidity of a piece of plywood. We can put the nose of the Adventurer 1 on a chair and the tail on another chair and a 200 pound person can stand in the middle with very little flex.
Riding a rigid inflatable SUP will make you feel like you’re on a hard board without compromising stability or performance. Many inflatable stand up paddle boards (SUPs) on the market are still only 4” thick and pretty difficult for an adult to comfortably ride. Our inflatable SUPs have been at least 6” thick since we first produced them years ago, making our boards 4x as rigid with 2x the weight capacity. The added benefits make Tower SUPs a great option for beginners and tandem riders alike.
I bought this board about two years ago when I lived on the water in Florida. I have since moved, so it’s taking up space in my garage, but I can give you the low down of two years of pretty heavy use as both a SUP and regular ‘water toy’.
My experience with SUP…
-Never owned anything but this board
-Have paddled a lot of middle quality rigid boards
-Have paddled once or twice on a nice race quality rigid board
As a SUP…
-It’s long, which makes up for the stability you lose being slightly higher off the water than on a rigid board
-If you paddle pretty hard/fast it won’t really hold a line as well as a rigid board that has a small wedge in the front. I found the nose rotating a few degrees every strong paddle, which gets annoying on long paddles when you have a destination in mind
-The included paddle works find, I would not recommend buying an aftermarket, it’d be like adding BMW performance tires to a Buick
As a recreational ‘water toy’…
-Kids would use the board to ferry up to 5 people across the small bay we lived on
-I fished with the board a few times, just secure a tacklebox or cooler to the front and you’re good to go
Best Paddle Board Buying Guide 2020
Types of Paddle Boards
There are four main types of paddle boards, determining what your goals are will help you to decide which board works best for you.
All-Arounders: These boards are similar to traditional surfboards and are great for beginners and for those who tend to stay close to the shore or on calmer water. These are also great for anyone who wants to fish from their board.
Race and Touring Boards: These boards generally have a pointed nose which makes it easier to paddle longer distances.
However, the entire board tends to be narrower so it is a good idea to make sure that you have a board that you can balance on and the narrower boards take more practice to get used to balancing on them.
Being more pointed and narrower means you can get up to higher speeds.
Kids’ Stand Up Paddle Boards: As the name says, these boards are designed specifically for kids and younger or smaller paddle boarders. They are usually lighter in weight, wider and smaller in size making them easier for kids to maneuver in the water.
There are different types of kids’ boards so you will still have to look further into the boards best for your children if you are shopping for young boarders.
Family Boards: These are great for the whole family, and they are soft-top boards that have a wide nose and stable tail making it easy for everyone to use, kids included. These are perfect for some good family fun.
Boards For Women: When paddle boarding first became popular, the boards were heavy and difficult to carry. Now you can buy boards that are lightweight and some even have a narrower middle, making it easier to reach across the board for more convenient carrying.
Advantages of Using a Paddle Board
Stand up paddling improves your balance and does a lot for core stability. You’re cruising along, paddling with your arms, and hardly realizing all the great work your legs and core are doing to keep balanced. And of course, paddling is fantastic for your cardio health. You end up getting a full body workout, without having to hit twelve different specialized machines in the gym. The best forms of exercise are the ones that naturally require you to engage your whole body in the activity. Stand up paddling is one of the easiest ways to do that.
Like most water sports, stand-up paddling is very low-impact. That means it’s easy on the ligaments and joints. Swimming has long been praised as a great alternative workout for people experiencing joint pain, and now stand up paddling is proving to be a similarly great option. And of course, we think stand up paddling is a whole lot more fun than swimming laps…
Beyond the exercise benefits, this a great group activity! Again, that’s part of why you end up getting a workout without even realizing it. Once you’ve gone out on the water with a few friends, or with your family, or with your kid (or your dog!) on your sup board with you, you’ll understand the serene joy that draws so many to this sport.
Considerations For Buying a Paddle Board
Paddle Board Length
So let’s take a look at some things you need to know to choose the right SUP.
The SUP length is the primary determination of how the board handles and how fast it goes. Just like kayaks, the shorter the SUP the easier it is to turn and maneuver.
SUP <10 Feet – These paddle boards are ideal for surfing with their short length and good maneuverability. Short boards are also ideal for kids because they are easy to turn.
SUP 10-12 Feet – This is the “typical” size for paddle boards. These are excellent all around boards for beginners to intermediates.
SUP >12 Feet – Paddle boards over 12 feet are known as “touring” SUPs. With their longer length they are faster and meant for long distance paddling. They also tend to track better but as a tradeoff less maneuverable.
Just keep in mind, longer boards are harder to store and transport!
Paddle Board Width
The width of your SUP is also a factor in how it maneuvers. As you may guess a wider board is more stable. Unfortunately you give up some handling but also SPEED.
Wider boards are slower. SUPs come in widths between 25 and 36 inches with 30-33 between by far the most common.
Height/Width – Try and match your board width to your body type. So if you’re a shorter, lighter paddler then go with a narrower board because you will have a much easier time maneuvering it. While a taller, heavier person should go with a wider more stable board.
Skill Level – If you are an experience paddler, the narrowest board that has sufficient buoyancy and storage space is best to allow faster, easier paddling.
Style of Paddling – If you plan on touring or going out for hours with a cooler and other gear, then keep in mind you will need more storage area. A wider board of 31-33 inches should be sufficient. If you plan on doing Yoga, you definitely want a wider, more stable board.
Paddle Board Thickness
Our last criteria in a SUP is thickness. Once you determine your length and width you need to look at thickness.
Being a thicker board is going to have more buoyancy and therefore more weight capacity per given length. So two paddle boards of similar width and length but one is thicker, it will support more weight.
Inflatable SUP Advantages
1 – Packing it in: If you plan on hiking back to a lake or river then an iSUP will be the far better option. They can be put in a pack and carried on your back. Not really possible with a solid SUP
2 – Storage Area: Live in a small apt, or condo? Then an iSUP may be your only option as a solid core SUP will take up more room and is harder to store.
3 – Traveling: Want to bring your SUP with you on a plane or long distance in your vehicle? An iSUP will be far easier to transport and store. An iSUP can be checked while a solid core, even if it could be checked, do you trust the airline with your board?
4 – Yoga: While an inflatable is not “soft” they have a bit more give making them more comfortable for doing your Yoga poses.
If you like these advantages, see my iSUP reviews, I will give you some recommendations on my favorite iSUPS.
Solid SUP Advantages
1 – Stability/Rigidity: A solid paddle board is by its nature more solid and rigid which gives you a more stable ride. They are also a little bit faster, and more maneuverable.
2 – More Size Options: Solid SUPs are available in far more lengths and widths so you can get the perfect size for your needs.
3 – Performance: A solid SUP is faster and better for touring and speed. If you are out all day paddling a solid board may be a better option.
4 – Last Longer/Simpler: With a solid SUP there is nothing to inflate/deflate of puncture. Just put it in the water and go!
Paddle Board Size to Weight Table
Paddle Board Brands
Having paddle boarded for many years and trying out a variety of SUPs I can offer my opinion to the best brands. Of course it’s subjective and it also depends on type of paddle boarding you do but I think you will not go wrong with these brands:
- ISLE Paddle Boards
- BIC Sport Paddle Boards
- California Board Company
How To Choose The Best Paddle Board
Stand up paddle boarding (SUP) offers something for everyone. You can head out for a relaxing paddle on a calm lake or catch waves in the ocean. Or maybe you’d like to do SUP yoga or go for a fast-paced paddle to get a workout. Whatever your ambitions, having the right board is key to your enjoyment.
To find the right stand up paddle board for you, consider how you’re going to use it, how it will fit your body and how you want it to handle in the water. Here are the key decision points:
- Hull type: Your two main choices are a planing hull and a displacement hull; the type you choose will be based on the type of paddling you plan to do.
- Solid or inflatable: Do you want a solid board or an inflatable one? Your answer will be based on things like board performance, portability and your storage options.
- Volume and weight capacity: You want to pick a board with the volume and weight capacity that’s right for your height and weight to ensure good stability and paddling performance.
- Length, width and thickness: The dimensions of a SUP play a big role in determining how it handles on the water.
How to Choose a Stand Up Paddle Board
SUP Hull Types
The hull, or body, of a paddle board plays a major role in determining how the board performs in the water. Most SUPs have either a planing hull or a displacement hull. There are a handful with a hybrid design that combine the best attributes of each design.
Either hull shape can be enjoyed by beginner paddlers, but there are differences that make them better for some activities than others. Because of this, it’s wise to choose the hull type based on how you plan to use your board.
A planing hull is flat and wide, similar to a surfboard. It is designed to ride on top of the water and be very maneuverable. Boards with planing hulls are a good choice for:
- Leisure paddling
- SUP yoga
SUPs with displacement hulls have a pointed nose or bow (front end) similar to that of a kayak or canoe. The hull slices through water, pushing the water around the nose to the sides of the SUP to improve efficiency and create a fast, smooth ride. The efficiency of a displacement hull requires less effort than a planing hull to paddle, allowing you to go longer distances at faster speeds. They also track nice and straight but are generally a bit less maneuverable than planing hulls.
Paddlers choose displacement hulls for a variety of applications, but always with an eye toward paddling efficiency and speed. Some applications include:
- Fitness paddling
- SUP touring/camping
Solid vs. Inflatable SUPs
Most solid boards have an EPS foam core that’s wrapped with fiberglass and epoxy. This is a fairly lightweight, durable and affordable construction. Carbon fiber is a lighter and stiffer option, but it’s also more expensive. Plastic SUPs are more affordable, but they are very heavy and lack the performance of other materials. Some SUPs incorporate lightweight wood for a beautiful appearance.
Why get a solid SUP:
- Performance is your priority: Solid boards offer the best performance on the water. They travel faster, smoother and with less effort than an inflatable. If paddling fast and far are your priorities, a solid SUP is for you.
- For a perfect fit: Solid SUPs are available in a larger variety of sizes and finely tuned shapes than inflatable SUPs, so you’re more likely to find one that fits you just right.
- Stability is important: A solid board is a tad more rigid than an inflatable board, which can provide a more stable feel, especially when riding waves. Solid boards also tend to ride lower in the water, which can also create a more stable feel.
- You have a place to store it: Solid SUPs can take up a lot of space. If you have ample room in your garage and a vehicle that can transport it, then a solid SUP is a fine choice.
Inflatable SUPs feature PVC exteriors with drop-stitch construction that create an air core. They come with a pump for inflating the board and a storage bag for when it’s not in use. A quality inflatable SUP is designed to be inflated to 12–15 pounds per square inch and should feel very rigid when fully inflated.
Why get an inflatable SUP:
- You have limited storage space: If you live in a small house, condo or apartment, you may not have room for a large solid board. Inflatable SUPs are compact when deflated and can easily be stowed in small spaces, like a closet or the trunk of a car.
- You’re traveling: If you’re taking a road trip or hopping on a plane, you can bring along your inflatable SUP and do some paddling when you reach your destination. Packed away in its storage bag, an inflatable can be checked on an airplane or stowed in a train, bus or car. Most storage bags have backpack straps for easy carrying.
- You’re hiking to a lake: If you’re headed to an alpine lake and want to paddle, you certainly cannot carry a solid board. An inflatable stowed in its storage bag is still heavy, but it’s pretty much your only option.
- You’re paddling whitewater: Like a raft or inflatable kayak, an inflatable SUP is better suited to handle bumps up against rocks and logs than a solid board.
- You like SUP yoga: You don’t have to get an inflatable for SUP yoga, but they tend to be a bit softer than solid boards, making them more comfortable for yoga poses.
Volume and weight capacity are determined by the length, width and thickness of the board. SUP manufacturers combine these three dimensions in different ways to achieve different performance characteristics (see the SUP Length, SUP Width and SUP Thickness sections of this article to learn more).
Volume: A paddle board’s volume, expressed in liters, gives an indication of the board’s ability to float with weight on it. The higher the volume, the more weight the board can support. You can find volume for a SUP listed in the specs on REI.com.
Weight capacity: Each paddle board has a rider weight capacity, which is listed in pounds in the specs on REI.com. Knowing weight capacity is important because if you’re too heavy for a board, it will ride lower in the water and be inefficient to paddle. When thinking about weight capacity, consider the total amount of weight you will put on the board, including your body weight and the weight of any gear, food and drinking water that you’ll be taking with you.
Volume and weight capacity as it relates to hull type: Most planing-hull boards are very forgiving, so as long as you’re below the weight capacity, the board will perform well for you. However, with displacement-hull SUPs, volume and weight capacity are more significant. SUP makers spend a lot of time determining the most efficient position for displacement boards to be in the water. If you overweight a displacement board and cause it to sink too low, it will drag and feel slow. If you’re too light for a board, you won’t sink it enough and the board will feel heavy and difficult to control.
The length of a board plays a major role in determining how the board handles. In general, longer boards are faster than shorter boards, but shorter boards are more maneuverable. Keep in mind your intended use when deciding what length SUP to buy:
- Short boards (under 10’): Great for surfing and/or kids. These boards almost always have a planing hull. Short boards are more maneuverable than long boards, making them great for surfing waves. Boards designed specifically for kids are typically around 8’ long.
- Medium boards (10’ to 12’): Ideal for all-around use and for SUP yoga. Most of these boards have planing hulls, but sometime you’ll find a displacement-hull SUP at this length.
- Long boards (12’6” and above): Great for fast paddling and long-distance touring. The majority of boards in this size range are displacement-hull SUPs. They’re faster than short and medium boards and they tend to track straighter. If you’re interested in paddling fast or touring long distances, you’ll want a long board.
Take your paddle board experience one step further by incorporating surfing or some water photography. This summer sport will quickly become a favorite as you are able to see the world from an entirely new perspective. As you will get the sun’s reflection on the water, be sure to bring some extra sunscreen along with you.
With paddle boards ever increasing in popularity you can now do even more with your board. Whether you enjoy a leisurely day of on the lake or prefer to crash through surf racing your board, there are specific paddle boards that will meet your needs.